Accessibility statement for Balderstone Parish Council
This website is run by Balderstone Parish Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible and we are intending to launch a redesigned website which will address these issues. As a temporary solution we have made several changes to the visual aspect of the website to aid accessibility and installed the UserWay Website Accessibility Widge which helps to improve our overall compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.1).
We are aware that the following areas of the website contain issues that require resolution.
- The main menu structure is difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
- More recent document have not yet been converted and displayed as HTML documents.
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- Some posts contain scanned images which are in an inaccessible format
- The online contact forms on the contact page is difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
- The document tree used to navigate the document categories has accessibility issues
Feedback and contact information
If you require information from this website in a different format or have any other feedback please contact us via email at email@example.com and we will endeavour to reply to you within 2 days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Balderstone Parish Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
- Some older documents within the documents section of the website are in a non-accessible scanned PDF format.
- Some more current PDF documents are not in the PDF/A file type and may not be easily readable.
- Some posts within the news section of the website contain scanned PDF documents or JPEG files which contain images without alternative descriptive text and text that is not possible to convert into a readable version.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
- Keyboard navigation of the site requires improvement.
- There a some issues with the contract of certain text elements within the site.
- The AJAX document tree used to access the archived documents is non-compliant.
- Recent documents added to the site are only available as PDF files and do not have HTML versions.
We intend to address these issues with a forthcoming redesign of the website.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. For example, we do not plan to reproduce minutes published before this date.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 21 September 2020. It was last reviewed on 23 September 2020.
This website was last tested on 30 August 2020. The test was carried out internally.
Formal approval of this accessibility statement
This Accessibility Statement is approved by:
Balderstone Parish Council
Interim Clerk to the Council
Date: 30th September 2020